<span class="highlight">Carson</span> <span class="highlight">River</span> <span class="highlight">Track</span>

Submitted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 09:52
ThreadID: 78562 Views:4743 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone a group of us are off to the Kimberley in 4 weeks time and I wondered if anyone had recently obtained permission to use the Carson River Track and secondly could provide some information how difficult the track is, most of our group are towing camper trailers. Regards Roger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 11:26

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 11:26
Roger,

We researched this one a couple of years ago and concluded that it was too hard. We spoke to local people and learned that the "track" had many large washouts that would require a lot of rebuilding to negotiate. It is very rarely travelled, and not somewhere I'd tow a trailer.

Carson River Station folk were helpful and cooperative, though they didn't want travellers there while they were mustering. You need their OK to travel the western part of the track. We didn't get as far as seeking permission to travel the eastern part. Home Valley has changed hands since we talked to them, but well worth a phone call.

Have a look at thread no 54588 which we initiated at the time to get information on this track. Some of the respondents may still be able to advise you.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417132

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 12:47

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 12:47
Also more recently:

Thread 76306

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417135

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:11

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:11
Hi Roger.
I have driven the western section as far as the King George River several times, but not since the Carson River Station has been leased.
In general terms it is not too difficult, although each time was harder than the time before due to lack of any work on it. There are odd miners still wandering about and the lease of the station may have changed everything.

The eastern section is quite a different kettle of fish.
I drove from Home Valley to Oombulgurri in the company with 2 Toyotas (a 200 series and an 80 series with diff locks and a 4" lift).
The 85km took us 3 days one way.
We had stuff to do at Oombulgurri and intended to travel right through to Kalumburu, but the Toyotas were getting low on fuel and an inspection of the Lovejoy jump-up 20k north of Oombulgurri suggested that it would take us 2 or 3 days to get up it. \We came back to Wyndam by barge (at great expense) because that would entail a lower risk than driving.

This is a slideshow (about 30 pics) of the trip to Oombulgurri.

This video clip is coming down one of the several jump-ups on the way to Oombulgurri. This was nothing "special".

This is not country to be treated lightly. I would not tow anything through here.
Permits took a year to obtain (and we had good reason).
If you are still keen, talk to Nick Bradley at Home Valley, although when I spoke to him last he had never driven all the way to Oombulgurri himself, but may have since.

There is a slide show of the Carson end in 2006 in the link below, as well as other odd pics in other slide shows of the area in later years.

OKA196 Motorhome

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome

AnswerID: 417136

Sponsored Links